Why small success? Because that’s the only kind I know! Even the big ones come in small steps. Here’s my paltry offering for the week:
- Back-to-School Paperwork Conquered – I survived the beginning-of-the-school-year-paperwork flurry. After filling out umpteen forms replete with multiple emergency contacts with multiple contact phone numbers for multiple children and a range of other forms requiring my signature, I thought my work was done. Then a second round of papers hit at back-to-school night. I think I’ve completed every necessary form and attached every necessary payment without letting things fall through the cracks. I think.
- Managed a Birthday Celebration on a Crazy Busy Day – Despite a day in which all the white space on the wall calendar had been filled by library story times, sports, activities, and errands, I managed to cobble together a birthday celebration for our four-year-old. The day ended with us devouring cake and ice cream in the near-dark at our patio table. Sadly, after homemade pizza and birthday cake prepared between errands, dirty dishes filled the sink to capacity. (And we had eaten on paper plates!)
- Cleaned a Kitchen Cupboard – I can’t even remember the last time I did this, and it was long overdue. I admit I was motivated in part by mystery moths appearing in and around this cupboard area. We’ve dealt with our share of pests over the years – mice, ants, and gnats come to mind, but neither my husband nor I have every lived with moths. They keep appearing in random spots. Anyone an expert on moth control?
- Saved a Monarch Caterpillar – My husband landscaped a portion of our yard as a butterfly garden. It includes a variety of native plants attractive to butterflies, including milkweed. We’ve enjoyed discovering a handful of monarch caterpillars feeding on the milkweed throughout the summer. Unfortunately, yellow aphids have swarmed the milkweed. Before tending to the aphids, I saved a young caterpillar that my oldest daughter and resident butterfly expert (and she is an expert, I kid you not) cares for. (Cut me some slack. This may be the only small success in which I claim I’ve saved a life.)
- Tackled an Innumerable Amount of Book-related Tasks – My novel debuts October 1, and I’ve had myriad little tasks to complete related to its launch. I won’t bore you with the details, but for every task I crossed off the to-do list, two more were added. Not that I’m complaining. I’m thrilled to see my “baby” discounted on Amazon for pre-order!
That’s all I’ve got. Celebrate more small successes over at CatholicMom.com.
Have you had any small successes this week?